Friday, March 30, 2007

Lot of Stuff of Late

Hey there everyone:

I'm gonna crunch a lot of stuff of late into one entry. I will try to come back and detail things a little more in the future. It's been an interesting couple weeks back from break, I must say. Very tough in a lot of ways, not in the least with all the work we've had recently.

Last weekend, we had a few big events.

Friday afternoon: For history, our speaker was the former US Ambassador to El Salvador in the early 80s. At first glance, most of us would think he would not be such a great guy, until we remembered that he was the one who fought to uncover the realities of the death squads and who killed the nuns in '80. He got canned by Reagan pretty early in his tenure for all the things he tried to accomplish. Very interesting speaker with some awesome firsthand insights to share.


Friday night. We watched the movie, Water, for our theology class. You should see it if you haven't already. It's not about water, per se, but it's a big metaphor throughout. It deals with women in India, specifically the phenomenon of widows and their status. It's very moving.

Saturday: Romero Anniversary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Óscar_Romero). This is a huge day for a lot of Salvadorans, and there were a ton of activities to do, masses, celebrations, talks, etc. We just went to this big stuff. Starting in the evening, there was a procession down one of the main boulevards to the main square in front of the Cathedral, where there was a Mass and then music. I left at midnight after seeing a lot of musical acts, eating some good food, and buying a t-shirt that says in Spanish that my heart is on the left (think about it a little). The celebration surprised me a little, frankly. It was much more commercialized than I expected, and there were a bunch of people there really not paying attention to what was going on--lot of distractions. My praxis community agreed for the most part, as well.

Sunday: Gene and Lupita's wedding. Gene is our history teacher, an American who has been here for 20 years +. Lupita is a cook in one of our houses, and she has been that for a while as well as a good friend of the Program. For the wedding, a bunch of us arrived early to set up for the reception and then stayed afterwards to take down everything. Lot of work, frankly. The wedding was very nice, and it was in the church in which Romero was killed--occurring a day after his anniversary, it had some special meaning. Lot of people there; generally a good time, just a little tiring.

Can't skip what I had last week: my welcome to El Salvador. I got my first intestinal infection, which probably came from a piece of fruit I failed to wash correctly. Some of the worst cramps I've ever had accompanied with a lot of bathroom time, to put it politely.

This coming week, Holy Week (Semana Santa): we are going out to the campo (the country) from Monday to Monday. Experiencing the radically different life out there, participating in Holy Week activities, and basically doing whatever our families will be doing. We'll be placed in pairs in different houses, one family for every small town. I don't really know what to expect, at all, but I'm greatly looking forward to it all. Life is pretty rural out there, so it'll be a lovely challenge.

Sorry for the rapidity of this, but I wanted to get it in before leaving Monday. I hope everyone is doing well at home and enjoying the moderately warmer weather I've heard about of late--it only gets hotter here, but the rains have started a little at night. Paz y amor--

AMDG,
Anthony

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home